Thursday, March 7, 2013

American Gangster: A True Story


A true story from the blogger:
My meeting was finally set. After a few rejections at the corporate, publicly traded company, I landed a meeting with the "decision maker". You never know what you're walking into, after someone decides to give their business to another logistics company, but that was an understatement.

Mike, AKA the DM, AKA the man with the pimp step, AKA that guy with the skully and bubble jacket, sat before me in the back office. I paid equal amount of attention to his opposing argument, as to his tattooed knuckles and ongoing slang. I was ready to override his reasons, by use of my usual approach, until he started talking about how he values his work. He's the last person you'd expect to land a high position at a corporate company, so I asked him when he started.

"Some people called me a gangster, but I'd say I'm chillin. Some people called me a thug, but I'd say  I'm chillin. So one day my brother said "yo you've gotta get a job or you'll end up locked up.  That one conversation changed my whole life. I went and found a temporary position, which was at this company. I was the fastest temp to get hired. I worked hard, but it wasn't just about that.... One day I was riding my bike home. I mean... My license got suspended, so I rode my bike to and from work. Anyway, it was pouring rain and someone pulled up next to me. It ended up being the owner of the company and he offered me a ride home. I told him that I can't accept a ride home, although I would've appreciated it. I was like " my license got suspended and that wasn't your fault it was mine, so I have to live up to the consequences of my actions". I went back to work the next day, and next thing I knew I was offered a permanent position here. Since then things have only been going up."

I was shocked. That story changed my entire perception of him. Not only did he prove to me that we can be too quick to judge, but to feel empowered through false or inferred perceptions. He not only reminded me of the importance of responsibility, but to take responsibility for both my actions and thoughts. You might look twice when you spot someone with sagged pants and neck tattoos, but you might want to look at yourself when you see them pulling up to their beach house in The Hamptons.

No comments:

Post a Comment